Friday, April 20, 2012

Book 72: To Ride Pegasus by Anne McCaffrey

This is a book of 4 stories all centered around the premise that certain people have psionic skills or Talents.  There are various talents and they can be measured and discovered by scientific means.  The books are about about what would happen then when these things were proven beyond a doubt to exist.  How would regular people react?  How would things like seeing visions that will come true effect the real world?  Can accidents be prevented if someone gets a brief flash a few hours before it will occur?  What if they don't stop the accident?  Is the person with the vision accountable for not preventing it then?

Apparently these stories have a couple of follow up books to form the Talents trilogy and somehow tie into the Tower and Hive series.  I haven't read any of those, but maybe someday.  You can really feel the late 60's sci-fi vibes while reading these books.  That can be cool, but it's not a hook for me here.  Actually, the only reason  I read this was because I was trying to find a book I remember from when I was young.  It involved people with psionic abilities like these folks.  There was a man and he showed his powers to a boy by killing some crows by thinking them dead.  I thought it was by McCaffrey and this seemed like the logical place where that scene would have happened, but it wasn't in this book.  Ah well, I'll find it someday.   

No comments: